Left to right, 11 Newland Street, shop with no name but probably part of no 13, which is to its right, with ‘E E Green, Stationery and Tobacco, Confectionery and Refreshments’. In doorway is Walter King. Miss Ethel Emma Green ran the shop from 1917 (when her sister Alice Mary, who was running it before that, married and moved away) to some time after 1924 when she married Walter King (her name is still there till the 1926 directories, whilst from 1929 onwards it becomes ‘W & E King’.) Also in about 1929 the shop front was extended left to no. 11, which here still has ordinary windows, although part of the shop.
|Source||Littlewood, Sue. Her mother Ivy was Alice and Ethel's niece|