Left to right, 9 Newland Street (‘J G Taber, fruiterer, florist’, in directories 1929 onwards, not there 1926), 11 Newland Street and 13 Newland Street (‘W & E King, Toys & wools, stationery and confectionery’. The latter were Walter and Ethel King, who married in 1924; previously the shop was run by Ethel, as Ethel Emma Green. The double frontage was put up about 1929; earlier the left hand side didn’t have a proper shop window. All decorated with flags.
|Source||Littlewood, Sue. Her mother Ivy was Ethel's niece.|