The lower end of Newland Street, looking up, with the entrance to Mill Lane at bottom left.
Left to right on left hand side of road:
134 Newland Street, William Bright.
132 Newland Street, the Globe.
130 Newland Street (single storey), blacksmith, Arthur Brockes.
Also 130 Newland Street, with “Good Stabling” written on the end wall, was the Crotchet inn.
126 and 128 Newland Street, brick, joined, formerly Blue Posts Inn.
Left to right on the right hand side of road:
141 Newland Street (tall building near horse and cart), was a lodging house called the Carpenter’s Arms.
143 Newland Street, Sorrell’s butchers (hardly visible). 145 Newland Street, shop called Wood [Billy Wood].
147 Newland Street, where the Poulters moved to in approx.1913.
149 Newland Street, Glover’s cycle and motor shop, with a low roof and two dormer windows.
151 Newland Street, building still there, Uncle Ellis’s shop, part has ‘Ellis’ on the shop fascia on the photo.
M1381 is a rather similar photo, slightly further up the street.
|Date taken||1915-1917 approx|