Bottom of Newland Street. Some of the information is from Charlie Poulter (oral history tape 9);
Left to right, left hand side of road:
(4) just past the gaslight, no gable, used to be a watchmaker, Graves (118 Newland Street).
(3) with the nearest gable, was where the Poulter family moved to about 1910 (116 Newland Street).
(5) with shop windows and notice board, no gable, was a sweet shop and lodging house run by Darby.
(6) with second gable, was where Jim Porter lived, plumber and fireman, drank a lot.
(3, 5 and 6 were all part of 102-116 Newland Street, since demolished.
(2) Cart in the centre could be Council cart.
Left to right on right hand side of road, with gables and porch with foliage is the Gables (125 Newland Street and 127 Newland Street.
(1) was doctor’s surgery on right with bay windows, where it is now (129 Newland Street).
|Source||Mike Wadhams’, collection, volume II, section 2, photo f (now in Essex Record Office)|