Chipping Hill and the forge looking west. On left hand side of road 41 Chipping Hill. On right hand side, left to right, 30 Chipping Hill (later combined with others as 28 Chipping Hill), 18 Chipping Hill and forge. It includes a small tree leaning over on the green. An oak tree was planted here on 31 December 1937 but by 1944 was dead, and replaced by another given by Harry Ashby. Later photos show that the latter stood straight up and had a cage round it, as it does today. So this is presumably the first tree. Assuming the photo was not taken during the Second World War, this dates the picture from 1938 or 1939. Perhaps taken at the same time as M1967 and M1980 (Frith WIT 24).
|Publisher||Frith. Number WIT 22 F|
|Source||Legg, Edward. .Sent on CD called 'Edward Legg. Witham Essex Postcards'. His ref 'Chipping Hill 1'.|