Fire engine and van next to Cooper Taber’s glass warehouse near the station (built in 1956). They were doing a routine check; there was a big outdoor water tank round the warehouse. Looking north. The vehicles are in Station Road. In the background on the left is part of the station maltings, and between the two fire vehicles are the houses at 1 and 2 Station Road (still there 1962, see M883). The car at the back has a registration number beginning PPU (so dates from 1949). The fire engine has number XPU 223. This was registered on 1 March 1954 to ‘E.C. Fire Brigade, 67 Rayleigh Road, Hutton, Essex’. It was a Commer fire appliance, chassis 45A 10076. Info from ERO C/DF 11/105. The fire service van has number GXH 737 which is not an Essex number.
|Source||Scott-Mason, John. 29 Homefield Road, Witham, CM8 2NS. He took the photo. Reproduced with the permission of Adam Scott-Mason.|
|Restrictions||If you wish to use this photo, please acknowledge the photographer, the late John Scott-Mason|