‘Brandt Gimson wedding, Witham, Oct.1917’. Wedding of Mary Gimson and Hugh Brandt at parish church. Mr Brandt ‘appears to be wearing a silver War Badge, a silver lapel badge issued to servicemen invalided out of the service for wear to show that they had ‘done their bit’ (quoting Ian Hook, Essex Regiment Museum). See report from Essex County Chronicle, 12 October 1917. Mary was sister of Drs Ted and Karl Gimson (for which e.g. see photos M102 and M126). Shows the couple leaving the church, with guard of honour provided by wounded soldiers from the Red Cross Hospital, where Mary was commandant. The soldiers are in their blue uniforms, with red ties. On the left side, the lady to the right of the child, facing the camera, may be Hilda Pachent. On the right, the boy on the extreme right facing the camera is Toby Shee. See also photos M188, M189, M190, M191.
|Date taken||9 October 1917|