The First Witham Girl Guides marching to the War Memorial on Armistice day, 11 November 1939. From left to right: Miss May West (leader), Pat Rushen, Barbara Rice (with flag), Doris Hawkes (with poppies), Joan Whybrow, Flossie Rushen, Muriel Hammond, May Raven, Miriam Phillips (later Mrs Beardwell), Evie Newton (with flag). The rest in the outside line, Elfreda Baxter, Margaret Speight, Joan LaPage, Beryl Driver. In background, 3 Newland Street (Glover’s garage and Freebornes farm); 5 Newland Street (Hedley George Cook’s pork butchers’ shop, and High House, which has since been reduced by one storey) (both part of no. 5)
There is a report about the rest of the procession, and about the service at All Saints Church, in the Essex Chronicle, 17 November 1939.
|Date taken||11 November 1939|