In 1915 in the First World War, the newly opened Y.M.C.A. hut in Collingwood Road (the site is now occupied by 48A Collingwood Road and 50 Collingwood Road).
The group of soldiers outside the door are Royal Engineers (information from Ian Hook, Essex Regiment Museum).
The inscription on the back reads ‘Opening Day of YMCA Hut, Witham July 29th, 1915. Marquis of Salisbury sitting right of centre’.
There were reports in the Essex Weekly News, 30 July 1915 and the Essex County Chronicle, 30 July and 6 August 1915.
See also photos M818, M820, M821.
|Photographer||W E Bull|
|Date taken||29 July 1915|