Middle of Newland Street looking east. Distinguishing feature is back of lady on left with long hair or scarf. Extreme left is building with name of Norris on sign possibly at 60 Newland Street (John Norris and then Robert William C Norris were confectioners 1878 to 1912 (not 1914) according to directories). Right hand side of road, left to right: White Hart hotel (pale, low, two-storey, 6 windows in row), Angel Inn (39-41 Newland Street, with sign, window in roof), 43 Newland Street (International – in directories 1899 on), 45 Newland Street (Crickmore – in directories 1890-1922), 47 Newland Street (three-storey, with gable windows), Spread Eagle hotel (49 Newland Street, with gables). Information from Charlie Poulter (oral history tape 9) is that the left-hand one of the two carts left of centre, left of the person in white, was a Council cart, collecting the rubbish.
|Date taken||1895-1915 approx|
|Source||Legg, Edward. Sent on CD called 'Edward Legg. Witham Essex Postcards'. His ref 'High St 3'|