Narrow part of Newland Street, with Eastern National 335 bus to Maldon (used to start at the station – Hicks did the Braintree to Witham stretch). Left to right on left-hand side of road, 48 Newland Street (two gables, Dane[?]), 46 Newland Street (one gable and first-floor door, Richardson and Preece), 44 Newland Street (brick, four windows wide, Braid), 42 Newland Street (brick, three windows wide), 40 Newland Street (small), and to the right of the bus the Whitehall cinema (18 Newland Street). On right hand side, the White Hart. The bus has registration number MPU 6. This was registered on 20 October 1947 to ‘Eastern National Omnibus Co Ltd, Chelmsford’. It was a Bristol 55-seater bus. Info from ERO C/DF 11/46. According to http://www.ryanbus.co.uk/bside90/index.html it was used till 1964. Buildings at numbers 42-48 Newland Street were demolished c 1966-67.
|Source||Scott-Mason, John. 29 Homefield Road, Witham, CM8 2NS. He took the photo. Reproduced with the permission of Adam Scott-Mason.|
|Restrictions||If you wish to use this photo, please acknowledge the photographer, the late John Scott-Mason|