Old photo of narrow part of Newland Street looking east. Distinguishing feature is back of lady on left with long hair or scarf. Extreme left is a building with name of Norris on sign, possibly at 60 Newland Street (John Norris and then Robert William C Norris were confectioners 1878 to 1912 (not 1914) according to directories). Right hand side of road, left to right: White Hart hotel (pale, low, two-storey, 6 windows in row), Angel Inn (39-41 Newland Street, with sign, window in roof), 43 Newland Street (International – in directories 1899 on), 45 Newland Street (Crickmore – in directories 1890-1922), 47 Newland Street (three-storey, with gable windows), Spread Eagle hotel (49 Newland Street, with gables). Information from Charlie Poulter (oral history tape 9) is that the left-hand one of the two carts left of centre, left of the person in white, was a Council cart, collecting the rubbish.
|Date taken||1895-1915 approx|
|Source||Braintree and Witham Times|