Railway goods yard. Building in distance right of centre is the Witham South signal box on which was put in in 1889 when an extra loop was added for a Southend to Colchester service that came from Maldon and bypassed Witham station (it didn’t run for long). Loading gauge hanging on right, to limit height of load. Two shunting horses in the middle, with their minder (probably stopped for a smoke). Horses would pull one or two trucks at a time. Fosdick’s truck has coal. Freight travelled at night. Information from John Newman. See also M2776-M2788.
|Photographer||Great Eastern Railway. Windwood Collection, ref. GE 711.|
|Restrictions||Courtesy of the National Railway Museum/Science and Society Picture Library. Any enquiries should be directed to: Justin.Hobson@ScienceMuseum.ac.uk|