A view of the station from the east, with the maltings on the far left (saying WITHAM & CHELMSFORD). To the right of the maltings is the old wooden goods shed, which was nearly circular. It was probably built not long after the original station (which was built in 1843). Freight would go there to be unloaded. A horse and cart stands in front of it. Access to it was from Easton Road. The Junction signal box is on the right, unusual in that it had an overhang over the line. The Braintree branch coming off to right. Buffers for a siding to get trucks off the Colchester line. Information from John Newman. See also M580 and M581, M2776-M2778, and M2780-M2788.
|Publisher||Great Eastern Railway|
|Source||John Newman, 35 The Avenue, Witham, CM8 2DT|
|Restrictions||From the Windwood collection at the National Railway Museum, York. Copyright of the NRM. Their ref GE 715.|