A view of the station from the east. On the far left is part of the old wooden goods shed, which was nearly circular. It was probably built not long after the original station (which was built in 1843). Freight would go there to be unloaded. On the right is the Water tower, on top of the stand with the five arches. The tall thin weather-boarded building to the right of it had the hydraulic equipment, pump etc, for the lifts in the station. Right of that are steps up to the Junction signal box. To the left of the water tower, behind the two thin sets of signals, is the gas truck for gassing up the lights in the carriages. Information from John Newman. See also M580 and M581, M2776-M2779, and M2781-M2788.
|Publisher||Great Eastern Railway|
|Source||John Newman, 35 The Avenue, Witham, CM8 2DT|
|Restrictions||From the Windwood collection at the National Railway Museum, York. Copyright of the NRM. Their ref GE 717.|