First World War soldiers from the Army Service Corps (information from Ian Hook, Essex Regiment Museum). At a strawberry tea in the paddock of Avenue House. Handwritten inscription on back of original reads ‘Witham, Essex, July 1916’.
The Essex Weekly News report reads: “STRAWBERRY TEA. From a fund raised by Mr Afford and friends, upwards of — A.S.C. men, accompanied by their officers, were entertained to a strawberry tea on Sunday afternoon in the paddock at Avenue House lent by Mr F R Round, C.M.G. The helpers included Mr, Mrs and Miss[?] Round, Capt and Mrs Cullen, Mrs W Brown, the Misses Pattisson, Payne, Eldred, [ ]son, Vaux, and Mann. Capt Cullen expressed the thanks of the men for the entertainment”.
The buildings behind are part of Avenue House (4 Newland Street) on the left, and the terrace of 6 Newland Street, 8 Newland Street, 10 Newland Street, 12 Newland Street in the centre.
|Date taken||2 July 1916|