A group of VAD nurses in a line on the green at Chipping Hill, a few years before the First World War. Some civilians also. VADs (Voluntary Aid Detachments) were first formed in England in 1909.
Some may be recognisable from other photos. Eg. of the nurses standing forward of the others, the one left of the couple in black, with white hair, below a door, looks like Miss Susannah Vaux.
It seems that the man in the top hat is to do the inspection. This is the same occasion as M809, except in the latter he has not yet arrived.
The long weatherboarded wall connects the buildings out of sight to the left of it (since demolished) with the ones we can see which are (left to right), 30 Chipping Hill, 28 Chipping Hill, 26 Chipping Hill.
|Source||Braintree and Witham Times. Neg is at ERO, Acc. A9314.|