VAD nurses being inspected on cattle market, with Pinkham’s glove factory behind (unclear copy). The factory was built in 1912. Of the two nurses standing in front of the line, the one on the right, directly under the left hand telegraph pole, is probably Miss Susannah Vaux. There seem to be men with hats like boy scouts or perhaps the Frontiersmen, behind the nurses to the right. VADs were Voluntary Aid detachments, first formed in England in 1909, and the Witham detachment ran the Red Cross Hospital in World War One.
|Source||Braintree and Witham Times. Neg is at ERO, Acc. A9314.|