01. Chipping Hill bridge

In 1768, the county of Essex agreed to give £100 to Witham “as a free gift … towards the expense of building a strong and commodious brick bridge for carriages over the river at Chipping Hill … instead of the Horse Bridge (of wood) now standing there”. That horse bridge had been a narrow one … Continue reading “01. Chipping Hill bridge”